A beautiful healthy smile can boost your self-confidence. However, having colored teeth can deprive you of the chance to express yourself with confidence; you will find yourself fighting with your speech in other to conceal your not so good teeth color. In the case of pictures, 18% of people usually conceal their teeth when taking pictures in other not to feel embarrassed over the yellow appearance of their teeth.In this article we talk about natural teeth whitening remedies.
Additionally, keeping your mouth clean protects you against various infections and diseases. Also, your teeth is part of what people first notice about you, they are sign of a healthy living as well as confidence. Although, teeth inevitably begins to yellow as we age, but the process can be slowed down and even reversed when you take care of your teeth adequately. When meeting people for the first time, asides your dressing, your teeth makes the most impression. Colored teeth, with plaques may send a negative signal about you. Yellow teeth gives impression that you don’t really take good care of yourself.
Nevertheless, how long do you intend to conceal your yellow teeth? Instead of concealing your yellow teeth, there are a lot of natural teeth whitening remedies you can use to achieve the shinning white teeth you’ve always desired.
A lot of people believe that consistent brushing of teeth is just enough to give those healthy set of teeth. However, a host of an individual’s habit such as drinking tea or coffee, eating kola nut, even smoking and tobacco products and some certain types of antibiotics have a lasting effect on their teeth. Sometimes yellow teeth can also be a disease condition such as unhealthy gums, thinning enamel and most of all poor dental hygiene. However, whitening the teeth alone won’t protect the teeth or gums from cavities or disease, like gingivitis.
WHY DO YOUR TEETH TURN YELLOW?
There are two major reasons why you teeth changes its color to yellow. Both of these reasons tend to increase with age:
The outer layer of teeth consists of enamel, which color is almost white and helps to protect the deeper tooth structure. Underneath the enamel is a layer of tissue called dentin. Dentin is yellow-brown in color. When the enamel layer is eroded away or wears away, the dentin underneath is revealed which is a natural yellow bony tissue. The teeth then begins to appear dark.
Certain foods can stain your teeth such as acidic foods. These foods that stain your teeth may thin out enamel thereby increasing the yellowing. Also, gum diseases and aging can wear away teeth enamel. In some cases, some people also have enamel that is naturally thin.
There are ways to keep your teeth healthy and shining. This includes practicing good oral hygiene
GOOD ORAL HYGIENE
- SELECT THE RIGHT TOOTHPASTE. Toothpastes are important part of good oral hygiene routine as they help to get rid of food debris and plaque from your teeth and gums. Toothpastes come in form of paste, gel or powder and they contain similar ingredients, there are various kinds of toothpastes made in needs of individuals.
- Whitening toothpastes often contain mild abrasives that are typically mineral compounds like calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and aluminum hydrated oxides. These mineral compounds help to get rid of surface stain that causes yellow teeth and also gives the teeth a bright surface. Whitening toothpastes usually contain a little percentage of hydrogen chloride. Hydrogen chloride is a bleaching agent that helps remove stains.
- Fluoride is a natural mineral present in water. Fluoride present in toothpastes helps prevent tooth decay by strengthening your tooth enamel and fighting away harmful bacteria that cause cavities. Toothpastes that contain fluoride are recommended for toddlers and children, but in small quality because too much of fluoride can weaken the enamel.
- Desensitizing toothpastes are good for people who have sensitive teeth and gums. Desensitizing toothpastes contain compounds such as potassium citrate and potassium nitrate with mild effects to lessen sensitivity. In order to increase the effectiveness of this products, before rinsing with water let them sit for at least two minutes.
- For people who react to fluoride, toothpastes with natural ingredients such as green tea extract, papaya plant extract, citric acid, xylitol, baking soda and zinc citrate are also effective in whitening teeth and also give teeth shining look.
2. SELECT THE RIGHT TOOTHBRUSH. Electric powered and manual toothbrushes are the brushes designed to help clean your teeth effectively. Although people who have problem in handling manual toothbrush can find electric powered toothbrush easy to handle. However, when using electric powered toothbrush, you will need to handle it properly in other to prevent gum recession over time. You can also employ the services of a dentist to help decode the type of toothbrush that suits your teeth and gums. However, a soft bristled toothbrush is the perfect brush for people with sensitive teeth and gums.
3. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR TOOTHBRUSH CLEAN. It is health wise to replace your toothbrush every three to four months. You should also avoid storing your toothbrush in a closed container because bacteria can pile up between the bristles over time which can cause mouth infections, plaque and enamel wear.
- Always wash your toothbrush before and after every use to prevent bacteria from piling up on the bristles.
- Never share your toothbrush with anyone. Sharing of toothbrush can spread germs and viruses if the toothbrush happens to contain a small quantity of blood on it and disease causing bacteria into your mouth.
It is health wise to soak your toothbrush in a cup containing chlorhexidine mouthwash for 15 minutes to ensure your toothbrush is germ free. You can do this once in every two weeks.
4. BRUSH YOUR TEETH MORNING AND NIGHT. Brushing your teeth twice a day is the major part of your dental routine. In order to have good breath and white teeth, it is important to brush your teeth before eating in the morning and before sleeping at night.
5. SELECT THE RIGHT DENTAL FLOSS. Dental floss is one of major steps in your dental routine aside brushing. Commercial floss is made from plastic filaments or synthetic nylon. Floss is usually treated with flavoring agents like artificial sugar and sweeteners, lemon or mint.
6. ALWAYS FLOSS YOUR TEETH. When you floss your teeth regularly, this will help protect your teeth from plaque and also remove from the areas between your teeth where you can’t reach when brushing. However, plaque that can’t be gotten rid of often lead to gum disease. Also flossing your teeth regularly can cause a discomfort but it is for your own benefit and it shouldn’t be painful.
7. USE A WATER PICK AFTER EATING. Water pick is a pressure washer for the mouth. Water pick help to get rid of stuck food in your teeth from the surface and between the crevices of the teeth and gums. By using a water pick you will be able to clean your mouth in a healthy way after meals.
8. CLEANSE YOUR MOUTH WITH WATER. By cleaning your mouth with water after drinking or eating caffeinated foods, will help you to get rid of any remnant food from your teeth and also protect your teeth from any kind of stain and decay. However, most people don’t know that drinking water throughout the day and cleaning your mouth with clean water after every meal is the best way to have good teeth. Also, always avoid brushing your teeth right after eating acidic foods because this can wear out your enamel. Instead, clean with water.
9. STAY AWAY FROM SMOKING. Cigarettes and chewing tobacco are injurious to your oral health and mental health. Cigarette and tobacco snuff can cause gum disease, oral cancer, stained teeth, enamel wear out, smelling mouth and bad breath.
NATURAL TEETH WHITENING REMEDIES
1. CLEAN YOUR TEETH AFTER EATING AND DRINKING
One of the best natural teeth whitening remedies is to clean your teeth after eating and drinking. Although, this maybe a little difficult but it is the best thing to do. You can use clean water to clean your teeth after eating and drinking or by brushing your teeth with appropriate toothpastes after eating and drinking. It takes a lot of determination to carry out this simple method because you may not always be-chanced to do so depending on where you are at the time of eating. So, eliminating foods that can give teeth yellow color can protect the teeth from staining. There are some foods that contain tannin which can stain the teeth like tea and wine.
Stay clear of smoking and drinking too much tea and coffee or soda, they may be injurious to your oral health and mental health. However, eating a healthy diet can also protect your teeth from yellow coloration. Always drink clean water after eating and drinking this will help reduce your chance of having yellow teeth and also give you a good oral hygiene.
2. BRUSHING WITH BAKING SODA AND HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
Hydrogen peroxide is an antibacterial agent and it is a good oral mouth rinse and gum cleanser. Hydrogen peroxide keeps the mouth free of germs.
To use Hydrogen peroxide as mouth wash, mix equal proportions of hydrogen peroxide and water. Keep it in your mouth for about 60 seconds and then rinse. Hydrogen peroxide keeps breath fresh by getting rid of bad bacteria as a natural antibacterial and antiseptic agent. The use of hydrogen peroxide as mouth rinse also protects the teeth against gum diseases like periodontitis and gingivitis.
Using hydrogen peroxide with baking soda to make a paste helps get rid of plague from teeth. In order to use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda safely, make sure you have washed your teeth as usual first and ensured that you reach the back of your teeth when brushing. Make a running paste with the two ingredients. You should know that hydrogen peroxide is a watery substance, while baking soda is a powdery substance like sandpaper. Hence, make sure that you have sufficient hydrogen peroxide mixed with the baking soda. Rub the paste onto your teeth for at least 40 seconds, then rinse well.
Baking soda helps whiten teeth and also helps fight bacteria to prevent tooth decay. This is another good natural teeth whitening remedies.
3. TRYING OIL PULLING
Oil pulling is one of the methods that is used to remove dirt, bacteria and remnant from mouth. Oil pulling is performed by swishing oil in your mouth in other to get rid of harmful germs and bacteria from your mouth which can turn into plaque and cause your teeth to yellow.
Although oil pulling is not a substitute for daily brushing and flossing but washing mouth with some certain oils can help prevent yellow teeth. Vegetable oil contains lipids that absorb toxins and pull them out of the saliva. Vegetable oil also prevents cavity-inducing bacteria from sticking to the walls of your mouth. Daily oil pulling reduces presence of bacteria in the mouth, along with gingivitis and plaque.
Oils that are suitable for oil pulling are:
- Coconut oil
- Sesame oil
- Sunflower oil
- Olive oil
COCONUT OIL PULLING. The use of coconut oil is very common because coconut oil has health benefits. Coconut oil is high in lauric acid, which is known for its effectiveness to reduce inflammation and also kill bacteria. It has pleasant smell and is rich in natural antioxidants and vitamin, such as vitamin E. It serves as a natural teeth whitener. coconut oil is very good for use in natural teeth whitening remedies.
SESAME OIL PULLING. Sesame oil swishing helps to reduce streptococcus mutans which is one of the primary bacteria in the mouth that cause gingivitis and plaque.
How to use oil pulling
To oil pull, take a spoonful of oil in your mouth and push and pull the oil through your teeth. Continue the oil pulling for a full 20 minutes. For coconut oil, it is solid at room temperature so you may need to wait for some minutes for it to melt. Put a spoonful of coconut oil in your mouth and push and pull the oil through your teeth. Continue the oil pulling for about 20 minutes and then split it out.
Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties and unlike other tooth whitening method, coconut oil pulling method does not expose your teeth to acid or other ingredients that can wear away the enamel. Coconut oil protects and cleans your gums.
4. NATURAL TEETH WHITENING REMEDIES WITH FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
A diet high in fruits and vegetables is good for your oral health and mental health. Strawberries and pineapples are two well-known fruits that have been claimed to give teeth a pleasant color and good breath.
The malic acid present in strawberries is said to be a natural emulsifier which helps to get rid of surface stains and plaque. Strawberries help exfoliate your teeth and make them look whiter.
Whitening your teeth with strawberry and baking soda is one of the natural teeth whitening remedies that is effective in getting rid of yellow teeth. Strawberries help to remove discoloration on your teeth while the baking soda gets rid of stains.
How to use strawberries to white your teeth
Smash three to four fresh strawberries in a cup and add small quantity of baking soda to make a paste. Brush your teeth with this paste or you can let it stay for some minutes before brushing it off. Use it few times per week.
Pineapple is one of the fruits that is effective for natural teeth whitening remedies. An enzyme called bromelain is present in pineapple. Bromelain is an effective stain remover and in whitening teeth.
Rub a slice of pineapple on your teeth and allow it to stay for some minutes before brushing your teeth with toothbrush and rinse with water.
Eating raw food and vegetables keep away plaque and also help your teeth to be strong and bright.
5. USE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (ACV)
Apple Cider Vinegar serves as disinfectant and natural cleaning products. Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural antibiotic which works effectively on teeth and gum as a cleanser. Acetic acid which is the major active ingredients in apple cider vinegar effectively kills bacteria and other ingredients include magnesium, potassium, probiotics and enzymes. However, since Apple Cider Vinegar is naturally acidic, it helps to break down plaque and other substances that stick to the teeth.
The antibacterial property of Apple Cider Vinegar makes it effective in removing stains from the teeth and also whitens teeth naturally.
You can achieve effective natural teeth whitening with consistent use of Apple Cider Vinegar. However, when using Apple Cider Vinegar be careful because acetic acid present in vinegar has the potential to erode the enamel on your teeth.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar
Use a soft toothbrush and brush your teeth with the toothbrush gently and then rinse with water.
Also using Apple Cider Vinegar in conjunction with baking powder can also help to get rid of stains and is one of the best natural teeth whitening remedies. Make a paste with two tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar and small quantity of baking soda and then brush with it. Use a clean water to rinse your mouth.
You can also use Apple Cider Vinegar as a mouthwash in conjunction with your daily oral health routine.
6. USING ORANGE OR LEMON PEELS
Orange and lemon peels are very effective natural teeth whitening remedies.Orange and lemon peels are similar to Apple Cider Vinegar. Citrus fruits contains beneficial acids which also perform a wonderful work in whitening teeth. Eating this fruit is good for one’s mental health and Oral health. They aid digestion by regulating the level of stomach acid. However, high acid contents also cause enamel to erode when used too aggressively on teeth.
How to use orange or lemon peels
Use the peel to clean your teeth gently and brush with a soft toothbrush and then rinse your mouth with water.
Also, lemon juice can also be used in conjunction with baking soda to whitening teeth.
7. USING APPLES
Apples contain natural astringents which makes it one of the good natural teeth whitening remedies.. Apples also contain malic acid which is also present in strawberries that helps to remove stains from your teeth.
How to use apple as teeth whitening
Use a slice of an apple and rub the slice on your teeth for a couple of minutes. Allow it to stays for five minutes before brushing it with a soft toothbrush and then rinse with clean water.
8. PUT YOUR TOOTHBRUSH INTO A SEA SALT
Dip your toothbrush into a sea salt mixture for about 5 minutes, made by dissolving half tablespoon of salt in a cup of water and brushing your teeth with this mixture instead of using toothpaste. The sea salt helps to increase the pH level of your mouth temporarily thereby turning it to alkaline environment in which bacteria and germs cannot survive.This makes it one of the very effective natural teeth whitening remedies.
- When using this remedy, your gum may hurt for sometime. However, it is normal because salt is hygroscopic in nature, this means salt attracts water.
A salt water mouth wash after meals can help to keep your mouth and throat clean and salt water mouth wash is a natural remedy for sore throat and this can be carried out by putting a lukewarm water in a clean cup and adding a spoon full of salt. Use this mixture to rinse your mouth two times a day till you feel your throat back.
9. USING COCONUT AND MINT LEAVES
Coconut oil is known to be a natural emulsifier and which is good for oral health and mental health. It is also one of the good natural teeth whitening remedies. Coconut oil also helps to reduce stains and fight off plaque and cavity causing bacteria. Mint leaves are known for its pleasant smell and fresh breath.
How to use coconut oil and mint leaves
Mix a small quantity of mashed spearmints or peppermint leaves with three teaspoon of coconut oil. This mixture can be used as a mouthwash or whitening paste.
Coconut oil is safe for every type of teeth and gums and it can be used daily.
10. CHEWING GUM
Chewing sugar free gum that contains xylitol for about 15 minutes a day after meals can protect your teeth against decay. Chewing gums also helps to increase saliva production in your mouth which in turn washes the remnant food away, strengthens tooth enamel and neutralizes acids produced by bacteria. Chewing gum is one of the simple and effective natural teeth whitening remedies.
Maintaining good oral health and having white teeth can be really cool but visiting the dentist is generally very expensive. In this article, we discussed natural teeth whitening remedies that can help one achieve white and sparkling teeth in a simple and cost effective way.