The Oasis Scholarship is only available for citizens and indigents of India. It was formed by the Indian Government, for the Backward Classes Welfare Development in West Bengal.
The main objective was to award students from the OBC category who are financially unstable to pursue quality education.
This scholarship aids students right from senior secondary education and higher studies in the fields of medicine, engineering, nursing, and LLB courses.
In this article, I will highlight every significant piece of information related to this scholarship.
Therefore, helping students stay informed about the application period, eligibility criteria, application process, awards and more.
Categories Of West Bengal Scholarships
The Backward Classes Welfare Development offers four main categories of this scholarship.
- Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC Students:
This category is for students known as Scheduled Castes.
These sets of students have been identified as one of the backward groups in the Indian community.
The students include all half-castes, races or tribes, which have been socially, economically and educationally rejected by the society.
- Pre-Matric Scholarship for ST Students:
Sponsored by the Government of West Bengal for Scheduled Tribes.
It’s not so different from the Scheduled Castes category as these set of students have been marginalized in the society.
The main target is to provide financial support to ST students whose parents cannot afford to provide for their education.
The Pre-Matric Programs for both SC and ST students runs through elementary to secondary school education.
- Post-Matric Scholarships for SC/ST students:
This scholarship is considered for these sets of students who have entered university.
The students must be citizens of Bengal and must have completed senior secondary education.
To be considered as an SC/ST student, the annual income of your parents must not exceed Rs. 2.5 lakh from every source.
- Post-Matric Scholarships for OBC students:
The Indian government uses the phrase “Other Backward Class” to designate castes that are educationally or socially disadvantaged.
It is one of the official categories of India’s population.
The interested candidates must be citizens of West Bengal and must be studying in a post-graduate level.
To be considered as an OBC student, the annual income of your parents must not exceed Rs. 1 lakh from all sources.
This section will go through the eligibility conditions that a student must meet when applying for any of the Oasis scholarships.
A major eligibility requirement, however, is that students should be permanent citizens of the state.
Apart from this, there are several other criteria to be met, as listed below:
Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC Students
- Interested candidates must be citizens of West Bengal or must have permanent residence.
- Must belong in class 9th and 10th in elementary education
- Candidates should belong to the SC category.
- The annual income of the parent or guardian should not be excess of Rs. 2 Lakh per annum.
Pre-Matric Scholarship for ST Students
- Interested applicants must be a native of West Bengal or must have a permanent residence.
- The student must belong to the Scheduled Tribes category.
- Students in classes 9th and 10th are eligible to apply and be considered.
- The family/guardian income should not exceed Rs 2 lakh in the year.
Post-Matric Scholarship for SC/ST Students
- You have to be a citizen of West Bengal.
- Applicants must be students at post-secondary or post-matriculation level and belong to the SC/ST category.
- Parents or guardians must not earn more than Rs 2.5 lakh annually.
Post-Matric Scholarship For OBC Students
- Students must be West Bengali citizens or natives.
- Interested candidates must be studying at the post-secondary level and should belong to the OBC category.
- The annual income of parents should not exceed Rs. 1 lakh.
It’s important to note that the rewards each student receives from the WB scholarships depend on the class they are currently studying.
Academic merit and financial need have a significant role in the selection procedure.
The amount of scholarship that a student receives is usually dependent upon their class.
However, the scholarship amount is disbursed only if the students’ applications are successfully verified by PO or DWOs.
The incentives for various categories are discussed below:
- Pre-Matric Scholarships for SC Students
For Day Scholars, they are to receive INR 150 per month for the first 10 months plus an ad hoc grant of INR 750 per year.
Hostellers receive INR 750 every month for 10 months + an ad hoc grant of INR 1,000 every year.
- Pre-Matric Scholarships for ST Students
Day Scholars are expected to receive INR 150 per month for 10 months + an ad hoc grant of INR 750 annually.
Hostellers should receive INR 150 every month for 10 months + an ad hoc grant of INR 750 per annum.
- Post-Matric Scholarships for SC/ST Students
Generally, both categories of students get a maintenance allowance of up to INR 550 per month. Hostellers, however, receive a monthly maintenance allowance of up to INR 1200.
For medical, engineering, B.Sc. (Agric) and PhD students, a minimum of INR 550 per month and INR 1,200 per month for hostellers.
Students pursuing bachelors’ degrees in pharmacy, nursing, hotel management courses, etc. will receive INR 530 per month. Hostellers will receive INR 820 per month.
Other students in general courses up to graduate level receive INR 300 every month. Students who live on campus will receive INR 750 per month.
Students in classes 11th and 12th in the 10+2 system, intermediate courses, and polytechnic courses will receive INR 230 per month and INR 750 per month for hostel students.
- Post-Matric Scholarships for OBC Students
Applicants that fall into this category receive a monthly maintenance allowance of up to INR 350 per month. Students who stay on campus receive an allowance of up to INR 750 per month.
For medical, engineering, B.Sc. (Agric), and PhD students, INR 350 is received every month. Hostellers receive INR 750 each month for the duration of the course.
For B. Pharma/LLB/B. Nursing/PG/Hotel Management courses, INR 335 is received per month. Campus students receive INR 510 every month.
General courses up to graduate level receive INR 210 per month to INR 400 per month.
How to Apply for Oasis Scholarship
What are the various steps to be taken to apply for the scholarship through the online portal? Applications for the scholarship can be easily processed online through the Oasis Scholarship portal.
The procedures must be carefully read before initiating the application process to avoid an incorrect submission.
Students who want to renew the Oasis West Bengal scholarship form need not register again.
The steps for applying for the West Bengal Scholarship are enclosed below.
Step 1: Registering with Oasis scholarship
- Kindly visit the official website.
- Click on “Student’s registration” in the students’ corner to apply as a fresh candidate.
- Choose the district where the institution is based. Applicants studying outside West Bengal should select the district of their permanent address.
- A page for verification of the caste certificate will appear. Fill in all details which will include your Computerized caste certificate number and submit. Your caste number helps to determine if you fall into the SC/ST or the OBC category.
- Once the caste certificate is verified, you are directed to the online registration page. Fill all mandatory fields with the necessary information and click on submit.
- Update basic details like Date of Birth, Sub-Caste, Current Institution Name, Phone Number and Email along with a Scanned Photograph.
- Upon completion, download your Acknowledgement slip. This will contain your User ID and password for future logins.
Step – 2: Log in to the Oasis portal
- After initial registration, download the Oasis 2022 acknowledgment slip which will include your User ID and password.
- Enter the details and click on the “Login Now” button.
- Once logged in, fill in the further necessary information and bank details carefully and click on ‘Save and Proceed.’
Step – 3: Review and Lock
- Once the student has filled all the information in the application form, click on the “Verify and Lock” button.
- This saves all the information you filled.
- Once the information has been saved, you cannot make further changes.
- Therefore, before locking the details, ensure that you entered the correct information while applying.
Step – 4: Print and Submit
- After saving the application form, download the application form to get the computer-generated copy.
- Submit the printed copy of the application form and copies of all original documents to the Block Development Officer or DWO for the municipality corporation.
NOTE: Students who initially get this scholarship have to renew every year. For renewal, the application process is slightly different.
Listed below are the necessary steps you can take;
- Visit the official website, oasis.gov.in renewal.
- Click on the “Renew Scholarship” option in the student’s section.
- Use your registered user id/application number and password and login to the website.
- Verify all details you previously entered when applying and make changes if necessary.
- Once you have verified the details, Click on the “Renew Application” button.
- Enter the information about the present academic session that they are seeking.
- Click on the “Renew and Lock application” button.
Documentation Required to Apply
There are specific documents required for you to apply for the Oasis Scholarship.
- A Stamp size photograph
- An attested copy of caste certificate/acknowledgment slip
- Attested copy of mark sheets and certificates of the last qualifying exam.
- Aadhaar Card
- Your parents or guardian annual income certificate.
- Bank Passbook
- Domicile Certificate
- Fee Receipt
It is important to note that the Oasis Scholarship is limited to West Bengal students. It is also expected that he/she must be a citizen and an indigent of India.
The application is a long and tedious process, but once you understand, it will be quick. Do not make mistakes before clicking the Verify & Lock option because bank details are the most important thing in the process.
The candidates can reach out to the Oasis scholarship helpline number for more inquiries. Additionally, they can visit the official website for more details.
Please kindly contact helpline number for further details – +91-8420023311.